Monday, October 22, 2007

festival fun

Yay festivals! They’re kinda done to death here, with what seems to be at least one every weekend, but for the unassuming foreigner who has been here for less than 3 months already, it’s not too bad!


Some festivals seem kinda random though – like this Sword festival in Seki, which involved lots of Iron Chef knives (both left & right handed knives, I might add), Iron Chef knives for kids (seriously, like hardcore knives with baby elephant characters on them) and the occasional sword or swordy paraphernalia available.



I also thought they’d be more ye-olde and traditional and stuff – when I heard of the lantern festival, I thought it would be just a village lit up by those traditional red lantern thingies lining the streets – Didn’t really cross my mind that it may involve Godzilla...

or that guy who lives in a pineapple under the sea…




Plus, I think I just found out what would happen if the powerpuff girls decided to make a mediocre Japanese girl band instead.




Festivals – fun for the whole family! Even the sake festival, which included almost-limitless amount of free doburoku sake (think thick white, chunky soup with rice bits, and if the soup was made from rubbing alcohol) was apparently a family event, with parents getting drunk while their kids watched and looked all cute in their little kimonos and stuff.






No comments: