Friday, February 29, 2008

i'm lovin' it

I think if I hadn't seen Supersize Me, and Starbucks wasn't in our local shopping centre, I would probably live in our Macca's. Why? Well, anyone who knows me, knows how excited I get about trying new foods and new specials, so on top of the whole "yay it's some novel Japanese McDonald's" thing, they have new specials every single month. It reminds me of when Macca's used to have "Flavour of the Month" when I was in primary school, and it was tradition to go get Macca's every Tuesday after tennis practice. And yes, I was a little heavier back then.

Anyway, at the moment the specials are all chocolate involved:





(By the way, the chocolate sundae actually counts as a special here because normally they've only got mango or strawberry sundaes)

So yeah, I was a little vocal about expressing my excitement about new specials, but what really made me want to visit Macca's more was the reaction of the store people to seeing three foreigners entering a Macca's in the middle of nowhere. Like, the shopping centre was built where rice paddies used to be, middle of nowhere. Anyways, I loved how despite not understanding every single word of what they were saying, I totally got what they were talking about.

Clerk 1: Uh oh.
Clerk 2: Are you going to be okay, or do you want me to help you serve them?
Clerk 1: Um.... I've got it, I should be fine. There's an English menu somewhere, right?
Clerk 2: Uh, maybe, check the back side of the menu.

As we approach the counter after discussing loudly what we want to eat, the clerks smile at us, forgoing the usual Irasshaimase, thinking that we'll have no idea what they're talking about in Japanese. That is, until my Japanese-fluent friend (Like, ordering food on the phone and having the other person have no idea that she's not Japanese) starts ordering and asking them questions about today's menu, and the store people burst out laughing.

Clerk 1: Oh Thank God! I was so nervous! Your Japanese is so good!
Friend: Oh, I'm not that good yet, I just know how to order McDonald's in Japanese.
Clerk 1: Well, that's good enough for us!

If I wasn't so loyal to our friends at Starbucks (i.e. Smiley girl, guy who works at multiple Starbucks, The Newbies, and Glen) I so would start hanging out at Macca's more.

No comments: