Monday, January 26, 2009

fully sick

I'm sick.


And no, I didn't contract SARS or the bird flu from Japan. And I'm not about to operate on anyone either.   I just have a bit of a sore throat, and a blocked nose. Enough though, to warrant me to wear a mask all day at preschool. Apparently the flu's been going around, and the head teacher at the preschool was paranoid that I was going to get it, since my immunity's lower because of my cold, so insisted I wear this all day.

And, it wasn't too weird of a request in Japan, seeing how some teachers wear it even when they're not sick to avoid getting a cold themselves (probably also has something to do with the fact that teachers are expected to use their annual leave if they have a mild cold or sickness, and only are allowed to take sick leave when they've got something major, like cancer or something). I also heard that some teachers at school wear one because they are allergic to chalk (still not many whiteboards used in school here). And pretty much everyone has a face mask, since they need it to dispense school lunch when it's their table group's turn.

It's the weirdest feeling having it on actually, since you can feel your breath and stuff every time you breathe. But it does have its benefits, like the ability to chew gum or eat stuff without anyone judging you, and it does keep your face warm. I was talking to one of my friends who visited Japan, who did bring up the interesting point - for a country that seems very occupied with fashion and stuff, why aren't there any cooler face masks around for adults? I'm sure more people would appreciate having the choice between regular white mask and a ninja-type one too.

No comments: