Saturday, January 24, 2009

i'm alive!

Although I did plan to go to Nagano last weekend to see monkeys taking baths in the snow, I wasn't expecting to be welcomed back home to Gifu with this:




Waking up this morning, I just assumed that the forecast of rain this whole week was right, and it would just be really wet this morning. Unfortunately. I got a phone call from a friend, wishing me luck after telling me to look out the window. 



I'm sure from the photos it looks cool, since snow means  snowball fights, making snowmen, and stuff right? Well, snow for me means a fear of slipping and falling on my arse, and driving in the snow for the very first time. I'd been told to drive slow and be careful, but how slow is snow slow? Like, 5 ks an hour, or is 40 okay?
I also realised that snow means you have no idea where the markings are on the road, and with snow a few inches deep I was really paranoid about driving onto the footpath on top of accidentally sliding my car into people. 
But after driving 30 ks an hour, and 20 minutes in the car, I made it to school in once piece! Lifting up my windscreen wipers, and psyching myself up for the walk from the snow-filled carpark to school, I see a couple students  (one guy wearing a baby pink playboy tracksuit, but that's another story) running into the snow barefoot with their pants rolled up to their knees. I guess people's rational fear of snow manifests itself in a number of ways...


No comments: