Sunday, March 11, 2007

need a linguist, anyone?

It's been yet another couple of weeks since my last blog. I know, I'm slack, but I really don't think it's worth blogging again about TV, since I've noticed that's pretty much all I've been doing lately... but then again it's hard to blog about my life when TV is my life at the moment...

I did go to the Monash Careers Fair a couple days ago though, if that's really blog-worthy. At the very least, it's made me realise how limited my career prospects are as a budding linguist. Out of the millions of companies that were there, I think only one stall were actually looking for someone with a linguistics background. It was ASIS - the Australian spy people on a recruitment drive to get more potential spies, or "information officers". For information officers, they weren't that informative, and was kinda hard to ask them questions about what entailed being a spy, since most of it was classified information.

Despite how cool it sounds to be a spy, like with the high-tech gadgets, pretending to work undercover in a paper company, and villains with sharks that shoot lasers and stuff, I don't think I could every be a spy. I already have issues in my job hunting lying to people and telling them I'll most definitely be here til the end of the year.

Plus, when you're a spy, I guess you can't really tell anyone that you are one, so the whole sounds cool to be a spy thing doesn't really work that well anyway...

No comments: