Tuesday, June 19, 2007

woo. japan.

It still hasn't completely sunk in yet. Yeah, I know that I'm leaving next month and stuff, but it still seems like such a far-off concept I haven't really thought about it much. It has been something I've been thinking about doing for a while, but actually doing it? Just seems weird.

Me. In Japan. For a year.

I got a little excited yesterday when a package came from Japan - it was from the Motosu Education Board with info about the place I’ll be working/living, the schools I’m teaching, and postcards and stuff. So it looks like I’ll be teaching at Motosu Junior High & Motosu Elementary School – knowing the actual names of the schools I’ll be teaching at makes it seem a little more real than just knowing that I’ll be teaching at a random Japanese school actually.

My biggest concern about going to Japan was finding I’d be teaching in the middle of nowhere, so I was relieved and somewhat ecstatic when I got a map of the city – Motosu has a shopping mall! And a shopping centre! And banks! That’s right, more than one! I know that seems really superficial, but I don’t think I’m ready to move to a place where buying things becomes an event, rather than something you can do any day. Plus, it’d kinda conflict with my current view of technologically-advanced Japan, with robots and stuff on every street corner…

No comments: