Wednesday, December 19, 2007

yatta! christmas!

It was pretty stressful, and at one point, I thought it was going to be a complete disaster, but it turned out all right in the end. Kinda like what you'd expect from your standard clichéd chick flick, I guess. Minus the passionate embrace and the couple you know are gonna get together in the end.

But I digress (again) - My first Christmas party without family went alright without too many dramas! Woo! I didn't realise how much I take family (i.e. mum) for granted considering there's so much planning to do to make such a huge meal. Granted, I kinda did Christmas dinner in Australia before, but that involved an oven, and hot weather that defrosted everything, and the involvement of less flammable ingredients....

So, considering the size of my fridge and my oven/microwave/toaster combo appliance, it took heaps of micro-organising - we ordered the ham and cheesecake and chicken online from Nagoya, and it just managed to fit into our fridge. Then, since my "oven" is kinda small, we weren't too sure how long to cook stuff, so we played it safe and decided to buy a pre-cooked ham that just required defrosting. Which would have been good, had we taken the ham out to defrost long enough. Lesson learned - hams take longer than 2 days to defrost. And by baking it in an "oven" for around about 2 hours and letting it rest for a couple hours before eating it should make it less icy.

2nd lesson learnt - probably not best to try and toast almonds in an industrial-strength fish grill. Toast burns if you leave it in the grill for longer than a minute, and almonds after a few results in a fairly huge flame. At least I know now that you can put water on gas-based fires.



So yeah, after all the food-related dramas, it turned out to be a pretty good meal, and to top it all off, we decided on doing some carolling while fulfilling our Japanese quotient of the day.



Turns out, carolling is WAY more fun when it's done in a room with just you friends, a few drinks, and some Nelly, Justin Timberlake and Sean Kingston... and of course, the obligatory Rihanna song.

No comments: