Tuesday, March 11, 2008

japan in one word

I was trying to find a Japanese word that best encapsulates my time in Japan. One that's slightly pretentious, in that it can't be directly translated to a single word in English, and a word that is closely associated with good times, and a sense of contentment or satisfaction.
That word is houdai (放題).

It pretty much means "all you can", as in "all you can eat", "all you can drink". Last week, we did 3 hours of all you can play at Sega World, which was pretty cool, and I'm hoping to go to an all you can eat crab restaurant once I save up some money, or find a really good one to go to. I've certainly experienced my fair share of all you can drink thanks to our frequent visits to our regular Karaoke place (yes, I have a regular karaoke place, I realise that's a little sad) but this weekend I got to experience "all you can pick", which has to be one of my top 5 "all you can" things to do in Japan.

Me and my friends went on a bus tour to neighbouring Aichi prefecture on Saturday. We didn't read the itinerary completely, so we overlooked the fact that the tour would involve a visit to a shrine that took up almost a whole island, and that there'd be a visit to a Miso factory (which would have been a highlight for me had there been a huge Miso sign that would open up endless possibilties of puns, but I digress). We signed up for the all you can pick strawberries at the strawberry farm.


Armed with our plastic picking container with a compartment of condensed milk, we made our way through row upon row of strawberry plants in the greenhouse, and picked strawberries till our hands became bloody (or soaked red with strawberry juice, who's to know?) While the amateur Japanese tourists took their time in picking the most perfect strawberries and savouring the sweet, ambrosia-like flavour of the freshest strawberries imaginable, we wolfed down as many as we could in 45 minutes.


The result: Jess - 40something, Narin, 82, and Julie 101.

No comments: