Friday, March 05, 2010

The beginning of the end

Wow, it does seem like a very ominous title for a blog post, but after a three day conference for JETs returning to their home countries, it really has got me thinking. I was hoping to find answers, and ideally, someone running up to me and offering me a job on the spot, but unforunately neither of those things eventuated. On the plus side, it did involve a three day mini trip to Yokohama wearing a suit and finally understanding what it feels like to be an actual professional who normally goes on business trips. I've been trying to act all nonchalant and casual about the fact that "I'm on business", but I think my grin of excitement about sitting on a Shinkansen and not being at school is giving me away.

Tomorrow when I do return to actual work, I'll be reminded again about the fact the end is nigh. It'll be my final class with some of my third year students before they graduate next year. It might not sound like much, but these were also the same kids who had bowl haircuts, squeaky voices and were afraid of cooties when I had just come to Japan. Now, they have big hair, shaved eyebrows and bright pink hairclips. And don't even get me started on the girls. But regardless, the very first kids I taught and didn't feel very attached to when I first came are now my favourite ones, and the last group of kids I'll see graduate.

Boy, how things change so quickly. Hopefully that also applies to my imminent unemployment as well.

No comments: