Wednesday, August 08, 2007

allez cuisine!

Move over, Michiba-san, I just made my first meal in Japan on Monday! It was like 2 parts Iron Chef, and 1 part Macgyver, since as I was cooking, I realised I didn't have many cooking utensils, and had to improvise. My kitchen has like nothing except for a couple pots and pans, and a rice cooker, so I'm slowly accumulating cooking utensils and ingredients as I need it. I bought this Iron Chef-esque knife, which has Japanese characters written on the blade, and has holes in it, which I'm not sure about what they do - I think they make the knife go faster, but I'll let you know.
So as I just put all the food in the pot on my gas stove thing, i realised I had nothing to actually mix and turn things - I had a fork and spoon, and that's pretty much it -I managed to find some disposable wooden chopsticks and cooked using them - how Japanese! but it all worked out well - despite my lack of Japanese cooking vocabulary knowledge!



I've mainly been going out for dinner most other days, since there are some welcome events, people to catch up with, and I can't be arsed the rest of the time. But I found out how awesome the supermarkets are here in Japan - they've got a deli type of section with ready-to-eat foods, like bento boxes and fried chicken, and food accompaniments, all ready to take home and eat! It's a bit like department stores, which have a whole basement of food products, but with less stuff - but I guess I should expect that when I live in an area that is filled with rice paddies every now and then.
The coolest part is, since all the food is made daily, they end up discounting food after 7, which is the exact same time I decide I can't be arsed cooking every night!
All in all, a pretty good meal - I was kinda proud of myself for buying the weird-but-probably-healthy vegetable thing AND fruit! I heard about someone who was living by themselves in Japan and was eating nothing but 2-minute noodles, until he discovered all these red welts on his body - he went to get it checked out and the doctor found he had Scurvy! I do like pirates, but that may be going a little too far...

1 comment:

markii said...

omg - Narin!

Don't get scurvy!

:P I think you'll do fine.

Belated welcome to Japan too!