Thursday, August 27, 2009

i have a problem.

Okay, I'm not going to lie.

Mango (Miyazaki)

I think my marimokkori collection is getting a little out of hand.

Momotaro (Okayama)

It's not my fault! There are just so many places I really want to visit in Japan, and I want a small memento to remember that trip. Plus, while regional Hello Kitties are super popular and ubiquitous, I wanted to get something that's a little less common and also something that shows when I went there - after all, how long can this well-endowed moss ball dude be that popular for?

Sasebo Burger (Nagasaki)

Then, it happened. A couple of my marimokkoris fell off my phone, meaning my collection was getting smaller. What was I to do but buy another one to replace it? Sounds completely reasonable, right?

Kung Fu Pork Bun Head (Kobe)

Then, what happens if I go to that prefecture multiple times? Shouldn't I get multiple different ones to represent each individual trip I made as well?

Some experiences aren't regionally based, but I still want to remember them - like teaching at preschool, and going to an amusement park, so might as well get some non-regional (but still equally limited edition) marimokkori to commemorate those as well!


Plus, some are just funny.

St. Francis Xavier (Nagasaki)

Then, my super awesome friends, knowing about my appreciation of all things green and crotchy marimokkori would out of the goodness of their hearts, buy me a keystrap as a souvenir. It'd be totally mean and disrespectful to not accept it, right?

Pearl Diver (Mie)

So fortunately, the first few I got were from places I had been to but before my collection started, so it was totally okay. Then, I got a few more from places I had driven through, which technically counts, since I have been there, just never stopped to see what it's all about.

Hotaru Squid (Toyama)

But, after a while, my friends started going to places I had never been to before. Some of which, I probably won't ever be able to visit, due to time restraints or lack of money. I still can't refuse their acts of kindness, AND, realistically, I'll never be able to go to all the places in Japan. Why deprive myself from getting mementos? If anything, they'll give me an idea of what's famous in each area, and help me decide where I want to go in this next year. If anything, it's helping the economy of these marimokkori places, since it's motivating me to visit these places. And, in a recession, shouldn't we all be doing our part to support people's jobs and stuff?

Sugi Tree (Yakushima)

Like I said, I know I have a problem, and I'm still working on how to get over it.
On a completely unrelated note, If you're going to Takamatsu any time soon, there was something I couldn't find while I was there, so if you do go, let me know...

No comments: