Friday, August 01, 2008

do you have lunch?

"Do you have lunch?" My favourite science teacher asks. I know it's weird that I call people who are supposed to be my co-workers my teachers, but I feel like I'm in this semi void, where i'm not a student, but not quite a teacher. Plus, when teachers talk to each other, here, they refer to each other as "teacher" when they're around the students, to sound professional and stuff.

I really need to get out of school. It's summer holidays, yet again, but being Japan, all the teachers still have to go to school during summer holidays, even if they have nothing to do, and just sit at their desks all day. Apparently, it's because teachers here are considered public servants, and so, like other public servants, have the same holidays as everyone else. This apparently is a fairly recent thing, which happened after Japan stopped having school on Saturdays. But anyways, because I've been "working" these Summer holidays, I've been bored out of my brain for the last 3 or 4 hours, emailing people, studying Japanese, and finding things to do to prevent my brain from becoming a huge gelatinous lump. So, the thought of an invitation to lunch with one of my nice teachers, sounds like a great way to get away from my desk.

"No, I don't have lunch." I reply.

"Oh." My science teacher says, in a semi disappointed tone. Without saying anything else, he grabs his keys from his desk, and heads to the door with the super happy vice principal.

Minutes later, I realised what just happened. They teach "what do you have for breakfast?" as meaning "What do you eat for breakfast?" So, my science teacher thought that he was actually asking if I was going to eat lunch (and thereby eating lunch with him). Me saying that I didn't have lunch, meant that I wasn't going to eat.

Damn this whole English being ambiguous thing! It causes tons of communication problems. And leaves heaps of people sitting at their desk hungry, while their atrophied brains turn to jelly. mmmm. Jelly.

No comments: