Tuesday, August 26, 2008

summer soumen & suika school day

Oh Japan. If there's one thing I like more than collecting regionally exclusive, well-endowed phone straps, it's the seemingly random days and events that happen. I guess everything seems random mainly due to the fact I can't understand everything that's said around me, but nonetheless, it makes the days way more interesting.

So today, something was happening with the special ed. class at my school. What exactly, I'm not too sure, but it did involve the kids doing suika wari, which is essentially watermelon piƱata-ing,  where a person is blindfolded, spun around a few times, and then with a stick (or in my students' cases, a wooden kendo sword) and are directed to smash a watermelon. Now, one of the pros of being the token foreigner at school, is that I also get asked to be involved with all the activities the special ed. kids do, so I got my fair share of watermelon wacking done as well,  but unlike them, almost everything I do, without fail is followed by surprised exclaimations of "jouzu! (you're really good!)" since they don't expect me to be good at anything Japanese-related. So apparently, I'm also really awesome at breaking melons with wooden sticks.

After some quality squatting around in a circle and eating watermelon time, I headed back  to the staffroom, trying to enjoy one of my last days sitting at my desk during summer holidays. That was, until one of the support teachers for the special ed. class calls my name and motions me to come outside.


 The class had decided on serving nagashi somen, which is normally eaten around summer, so the kids had fashioned a huge bamboo pipe-type thing, supported b some sticks, and connected it to the drink taps on one end, so water flowed down the bamboo, and the other hand finished at the drain. As water flowed through the bamboo, one person placed bundles of somen noodles on the top, and the flowing water carried it through the pipes.

 
Meanwhile, other students and teachers, armed with bowls of spring onions and tsuyu (a soy sauce and stock-based dipping sauce) huddled around the pipes, waiting with chopsticks to catch the noodles going by, dipping them in the tsuyu and eating it fresh. I couldn't help thinking how this couldn't be done back at home in Australia, because of the water restrictions, but at the same time, I was totally blown away by how cool it was. It's made me really keen on finding a real nagashi somen restaurant, with some apparently utilising natural water streams to carry the noodles to customers. 
Oh summer vacation in Japan. Why can't you have more days like this, and less days involving sitting at your desk and doing absolutely nothing?

No comments: