Saturday, August 16, 2008

marimokkori, the algae ball man

Okay, I'll admit it; I have a phone strap hanging off my phone.... but Japan made me do it! Everyone in Japan has one, from the Harajuku girls to the middle-aged salarymen - it's not just for little girls and those guys with anime hair. I just wanted to fit in, and do what everyone else was doing, be cool... And before you even ask, yes, if Japan walked off a cliff, I would too, okay?

Besides, I was looking for something cool to collect from all the places I visited in Japan. And while all touristy places here seem to sell random cookies and stuff, I decided I wanted something that would last a while.

Unfortunately, unlike my Hello Kitty-obsessed friends, I had less choices in terms of what phone straps I wanted to collect. For a while I was trying to go for a superhero strap theme, but soon enough, I found my Hiroshima Power Ranger (armed with Rice scooper spoons, which Hiroshima is famous for) and my Kobe  Beef Ranger losing their limbs and in a couple of days... For superheroes, not as sturdy or resiliant as you'd expect them to be, which was kinda disappointing. Plus, the superhero straps weren't as easy to find in some of the less touristy places.

Then, I stumbled upon marimokkori, or algae ball man. it's supposed to be a pun on marimo, which are these green round algae ball clusters, found in Sapporo, and mokkori, which essentially means crotch. While only Sapporo is known for marimo, it seems like the rest of Japan is getting on the bandwagon.



 
Hachiko (Tokyo)
  
Takoyaki, Octopus Balls (Osaka)
  
Chinatown (Yokohama)
  
Giant Buddha (Kamakura)
  
Maple leaf-holding Deer (Hiroshima)
  
Lobster (Kanazawa) 

It is kinda weird how each region has released their own region-specific marimokkori, even if they don't have marimo in their area.

But meh, who am I to complain? I've found something to waste my money on when I travel! Yay!

*Update* I've had a few people checking out this page to see my marimokkori collection, so, I figured I might as well add a new "marimokkori" label to my blog, to make it easier to keep track of my (hopefully) ever-growing collection of giant crotch phone straps!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting :)

Anonymous said...

Marimokkori is not from Sapporo. It is Hokkaido mascot. Lake Akan has marimo. Other marimokkori is fake. Only Hokkaido marimokkori is real one. Other places copy marimokkori. There are two kinds. Only Hokkaido marimokkori and all others. Hahaha. Please read about Lake Akan and marimo if you have time. You must travel to Hokkaido to get the real marimokkori characters. Good Luck!