Tuesday, June 20, 2006

do wombats have tails?

Do wombats have tails? Let me know, because I may have just told everyone in the area that they don't. During my first day at one of my schools, I was doing a lesson with my supervising teacher when she received a call - It was KBS, and they were doing a news segment on this whole teaching practicum in Korea. I kinda freaked out and couldn't stop laughing about the whole situation - I think my students think I'm kinda weird.

Anyways, me and my supervising teacher freaked out and had to plan a whole new lesson for the day - we were originally going to do just an introductory lesson where students just ask me questions about Australia and that's it. We also had to change the class because originally it was just a year 9 class, but we had to change it to make it a class for the whole school (sounds impressive, but it's a country school, so there are only 11 students) just so it would look better on TV.

After working out the perfect lesson plan, we didn't even end up using it at all. Instead, the cameraman just wanted to get enough shots of me at the board and then wanted us to 'play an English". I don't even know what game it was, I was explained the rules in the few seconds before we started, and then played - it was kinda like Uno, but not and really lame.

I'm so glad it's being aired on Korean TV because I swear I made an arse of myself. I was asked why this was a good program, and my explanation was too long, so had to shorten in to 15 seconds, and I must I look totally out of it. Then, they interviewed some Korean students and asked them to be really pumped and scream and get excited about me coming in. I don't know what it says about me or my teaching, but all the students refused to act really excited about me coming in!

After about 10 more minutes of that, I had to show how much I was bonding with my students and play basketball with them for 15 minutes - They so don't know me at all! I hope there's some clever editing because I must of only hit 2 of like 15 shots, and then I was asked to dunk the ball. Would you call it a dunk when you can't even reach the ring and miss as well? Hopefully they cut and edit it so I look good, or maybe they'll add some stupid sound effects...

1 comment:

narin said...

dammit! I thought so...