Saturday, June 17, 2006

me & kim chi at the gran piatta

"We want you to feel comfortable in Korea, so we'll take you to an Italian restaurant today, okay?"

Didn't really expect to be eating just non-Korean food on my first day in Korea. I had this bread-cakey thing my host teacher bought for me for breakfast/lunch, and then for dinner, she was taking me to an Italian restaurant? What, no kim-chi? We are in the land of Kim-chi after all...

But after eating at Gran Piatta, my concerns were put to rest straight away - I ordered a "Korean-inspired" octopus risotto, while everyone else ordered pasta and veal. After an entree of soup, we were served a side of freakishly-sweet Asian bread, and kim-chi! Wow, kim-chi land doesn't disappoint!

my "risotto" wasn't very risotto-y either - I thought it'd be all mixed together and have a creamy sauce or something, but it was just a stir-fry with a side of rice, and also a side of Korean noodles - not mixed together or anything! it was freakishly spicy as well - couldn't end up finishing it because I went all red and stuff.

thinking my night at the Italian restaurant couldn't be any more culture shocky, I went to the toilets, and found ice in the urinal... not like an ice block, but like someone emptied a bag of ice into all of the urinals. WHY? Why would you need to cool it down!?



Oh well, guess I have little else to be surprised about when I try "real" Korean food. Bring on the Kim-chi!

No comments: